oh!

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Cleaning

My buddy Ben is helping me clean my room. I have a lot of things I've collected over the years, and it's hard to know what are the things I need to hold onto, and what are the things I need to let go. Here are a few items I thought I should hold onto: 2 pair of swimming goggles. Velvet likeness of Abraham Lincoln. Gold sash from when I took Kung Fu in college. Remote control airplane I had in high school.

Now, this is not all that I have. These are just SOME of the things I've felt that I should hang onto because I just NOW that some day, there's going to come a time when someone is going to cross my path, and they are going to have to wear some sweet kung fu outfit, or they are going to have an audition for some old time-y chinese martial arts film, and I'm going swoop right in to save the day. Or, sometime in the future, I'll be sitting around watching old Bruce Lee movies and my kids are going to talk about how they think Bruce Lee is really cool and they are going to look at me and ask me if I could ever do something like that, and of course, I'll be able to look back at them with confidence and say "yes, yes I DID do something like that". And I'm going to reach over to the cabinet in the t.v. room and with perfect timing, I'll pull out that gold sash and say, "I received the gold sash." And my kids will look at me with respect, and fear, and awe, but mostly the fear, and they are going to know that I am just as bad "a" as Bruce Lee, and it's all going to be worth it. They really don't have to know that the gold sash is the first sash you can get. I think it's what you get automatically. I don't even think you have to do any sort of punch combinations for it. Definitely not any kicks. That seems like it would be too much. And they CERTAINLY don't need to know that my biggest martial arts accomplishment, by far, is that I won a Bruce Lee yelling contest at the community college that I went to... And how will I be able to accomplish/avoid that?!..

by hanging onto that r.c. airplane, the extra lap goggles, the velvet Lincoln, and of course, that beautiful golden sash. And, oh yes, there are plenty more what that come from...

3 comments:

  1. Definitely hold onto the goggles, but go ahead and move them to your car. Then when you get a wife, move them to her car. Your kids might swim, and they will always lose or break all three pair of goggles you have bought for them. They will tell you this two minutes before their first heat of a meet. Totally hypothetical scenario there (okay, it isn't. I have a lot of first hand experience with this.)

    Keep the sash too. I don't know why, but you really seem to like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you could use all of them to rob a bank. the goggles to cover your eyes, the sash to cover your face, and the plane to bash the guard in the head with. the perfect plan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some great ideas here. I'm thinking more about this bank business... how can I actually RIDE the plane.. I think that's the answer....

    ReplyDelete